What is a Discipleship Group?
A Discipleship Group (DGroup) is a small group of people (3-5, same gender) committed to intentionally walking with one another to trust and follow Jesus in obedience.
The aim of a DGroup is that with the help of the Holy Spirit and one another, we would:
1. Grow deeper in love and obedience to God, becoming more like the one we follow - Jesus.
Specifically, through time in a Discipleship Group, you should see growth in:
- Christian Community: Growth in authentic, honest, sharpening community.
- The Word (the Bible): Growth in discipline, understanding, and the ability to handle the Word of God.
- Prayer: Growth in active prayer with God and trusting the Lord without ceasing.
- Obedience: Growth in active obedience in all ways and in the fruit of the Spirit.
- Multiplication: Growth in leading people to life in Jesus and making new disciples.
How to get started with a discipleship group
- Pray about who you could invite you join you in this group, and then ask them.
- Determine a time when you can all meet together regularly.
- Pick a start and end date for your discipleship group to give a time period for everyone to commit to.
- Meet together for the first time to get to know everyone, share your stories of how you came to trust Christ, and
- determine which Bible reading plan you're going to focus on moving forward. We recommend F260 Readling plans or any "read through the Bible" plan on the YouVersion app.
How long should a discipleship group last?
There is no set length of time. Each group could look a little different. However we suggest setting a specific time period, and then reassessing with what is best for everyone and to always include new Believers at the table of a DGroup. If the DGroup wants to keep going, or take a break and then pick it back up, that is great. We just always want to remember we are meant to make disciples and multiply, so starting a new group for and with new followers of Jesus should always be on the table and something we are working towards.
How do we multiply discipleship groups?
- Have multiplication as a goal from the beginning. Let everyone know up front that our aim is always to make disciples and start new DGroups with new followers of Jesus, which may, and probably will, mean starting new DGroups at some point to include new disciples of Jesus.
- If / When you lead someone to life in Jesus, invite them into your DGroup if there is room, start a new DG with them, or help connect them to a new DGroup. The important thing is to walk with a new follower of Jesus to grow as a disciple.
- Share with your DGroup specific names of people you are thinking of starting a new group with, and pray for them regularly.
- Take the initiative to invite new members from your LIFE Group into a DGroup with you.
- Let your LIFE Group leader know if you have space in your DGroup or are looking to start a new one.
Want to start a DGroup?
Download the resources, read through the information provided on this page and on the resources, invite a few men to join you, then get started.
- We're linking the F260 Read through the Bible Plan & the F260 New Testament Plan. Please feel free to download and print.
- Replicate.org has A LOT of information on DGroups. We highly recommend them!
- Got Questions? Email Hilldale's Education Pastor, Terry Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: We'd like to thank Long Hollow Baptist Church and Austin Life Church for their guidance and wording as we start Discipleship Groups at our church. Their insight and expertise has been very valuable to us.